Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ogallala Commons Newsletter: July (Week 1)

Intern Profile: Rebecca Garrison

I’m Rebecca Garrison from Mosquero in Harding County, New Mexico. I just graduated from Mosquero High School this May. In the Fall, I’ll be a sophomore at Clovis Community College where I’ve been earning dual credits since my sophomore year of high school, and will be majoring in Early Childhood Development. I actually have only lived in Mosquero for about 2 ½ years, but since being here I’ve been amazed by this small, thriving community.

This summer, I’m interning under Mary Campbell and Daniella Johnson who work for the Harding County’s Economic Development Office. One of the many goals we want to accomplish is to get our youth involved in the county by heartening teens to get an education, by graduating high school and college, and coming back to their hometown. Also, we would like to get businesses to help by promoting and encouraging teens to come back and work in the county. We are trying to get ideas from everyone on how to motivate the community's youth and adults to build local economy. During my internship, we are going to do a mass survey involving covering at least 300 community members (half our county population), asking them what they would like to see come into the county; and asking for ideas on how they think we can go farther in improving our community. From this intern experience, I am gaining a better appreciation for the hard work that community members and businesses like the Economic Development Office do to help keep our community on the map.


Intern Profile: Liz Hill

My name is Liz Hill. I’m 19 and this summer I’m completing an internship in my hometown of Dimmitt, Texas. I attend Texas A&M where I’m majoring in marketing with a minor in communications. I’ve loved living at home this summer and giving back to the community that has given so much to me.

The biggest project I’m working on this summer is a renovation of the Dimmitt City Park. We hope to replace some old playground equipment first and add a splash pad, some trees, and a parking lot. I’ve been working to secure grant funding for this project with the City Manager’s office. Writing the grants is really difficult because of the level of detail required and the planning you have to do beforehand. But I’m enjoying the challenge and I hope that this renovation is a huge success! I’ve also been helping the City Manager come up with some ideas to revitalize our city recycling plant. We hope to implement some changes by the end of the summer.

I’ve been working with the Chamber of Commerce here in Dimmitt to organize an exciting event for the community. On July 19th, the local news will broadcast from Dimmitt as a part of their Summer Celebration Series. The four newscasts will feature stories about Dimmitt and surrounding communities, there will be vendors on the square, live music, food, and lots of fun! I’m excited to get to help showcase my community, and as the day draws closer we just work harder.


Intern Profile: Raylyn Bowers

My name is Raylyn Bowers, and I will start my senior year at Tulia High School (Tulia, TX) this fall. I learned about this internship from a former intern and I thought it sounded interesting. After high school, I plan to attend the University of Texas at Austin to study Engineering.

During my internship, I will work at Rose Hill Cemetery in Tulia, putting all of the names and dates from the headstones into the computer. Then, when that is finished, hopefully we can make an easy-to-read map. The map would be made so that when people come to visit their loved ones, they will be able to find them without searching an entire section for them.

After the cemetery, I will work at the hospital, exploring what it takes to keep a rural community hospital running. I will work with the doctors, nurses, medical records, and central supply.

Next, I will be at a different cemetery. The cemetery in Happy, Texas, needs someone to transfer information from a card into the computer. I will be working with the City Secretary and Patricia Sims to get this work done.

Then I plan to work for the Tulia Chamber of Commerce, getting everything prepared for the town picnic and parade. During picnic, I plan to volunteer for the hospital, while they set up inflatable slides and jumping toys on the town square for the children to jump on.

Immediately after Picnic is over, I am on my way to Europe for a week, then back to Tulia to finish up my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment