Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ogallala Commons Newsletter: July (Week 4)

Intern Profile: Michelle WaitI am Michelle Wait from Pritchett, Colorado. I am a high school math and business teacher at both Pritchett High School and Campo High School which has given me the opportunity to work with some amazing staff and students at both schools.

The biggest part of my internship has been spent working to create an entrepreneurship curriculum for teachers to use in their classrooms. I’m very excited about teaching this curriculum this fall because many of the lessons will be hands-on activities that will allow the students to learn about real-life business processes. My hope is that this curriculum will allow students to bring their ideas about business to life, and perhaps entice them to start their business in our small town areas where they grow up.

In my “spare time,” I like to help my husband on the ranch. My children are 5th generation ranchers and in just a few years, our family will have been ranching in southeast Colorado for 100 years. Kaili, my oldest daughter, will be attending Otero Junior College this fall to study crop sciences. Kerra will be a senior at Pritchett High School this fall and is very active in most everything. Kerra is also participating in the OC Internship Program this summer. Megan will be a 3rd grader who loves to do everything from playing basketball to riding her horses to reading her favorite chapter books. My family is my greatest joy, and it seems like the best times we have together are the days we spend working on the ranch.

Intern Profile: Kerra WaitHi All, I am Kerra Wait from Pritchett, Colorado. This fall I will the youngest senior in my class at Pritchett High School at the age of 16. At school I am involved in everything that is offered that I can; I am in FFA, FBLA, STUCO, 4-H, National Honor Society, Honor Roll, Knowledge Bowl and I have been participating in volleyball, basketball and track since 5th grade. However injuries to my ankles and hips have kept me off the courts and track for the past two years.

This year was my first time to do an internship of any kind and I am really happy I chose to do it with this great organization. Several years ago my older sister, Kaili, was an intern, and this year my mom, Michelle, is a teacher intern as well. So my family is getting really involved with OC and I think it is great!

My internship has been working with the Baca County Economic Development and improving our county. I have had a ton of fun learning about my county and what I can do to improve it. I have also had the pleasure to work a lot with Megan England. One thing I will never forget from my internship was the Connecting Kids to Community Leadership Day that we put on. I had a blast doing that! Also I can’t wait until the Youth Engagement Day that we are also planning because it might actually be more fun! However, I have had a great internship and I have learned so much more than I thought I would about my county and even myself. I can’t wait until I can apply again and have another great summer with great people!

Intern Profile: DeLesa PerezHello everyone my name is DeLesa Perez. I am 19 years old and attending West Texas A&M University in Canyon, Texas. This summer was my third consecutive summer to participate in the Ogallala Commons Internship Program; every year I have grown and learned a lot more. I have met many new faces and have become a better person. This summer throughout out my internship, I have helped at the Hart elementary school with the summer school kids. I also got to help out with the local Lions Club, St. Johns Catholic Church Jamaica, our annual Hart Days Celebration (which was a great hit) and last, but not least, work at City Hall. All together, I have learned so many new skills, each year has become more interesting, and the work has increased. I will also have the opportunity to use what I have learned throughout my internship in my college career and everyday life. Specifically in my internship, I have made the main flyers to advertise the events to bring people from around the community to Hart. I also helped Sue Hawkins at City Hall with mail runs, taking water bill payments, and answering the telephones. I also got to help with the Miss Hart Pageant by encouraging the girls, organizing and helping decorate, and designing a t-shirt for the girls to wear for opening number that night. I may have a few big jobs throughout my internship but with my help on the little jobs, I get to be a part of the bigger picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment