Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July News (3)

Building up Partners in Colorado
Intern Greg Laudenslager proudly displays
 the attractive HPFC delivery bags that help
bring fresh foods to customers
Last week, OC Director Darryl Birkenfeld made a trip to Denver to work with Community Internships and partners in the region.  On July 19th, Darryl and Bob Mailander, OC Advisory Council member met with Bill Stevenson, Director of Rocky Mountain Farmers Union—Cooperative Development Center, to work on a RMFU-OC collaboration to place 5 Community Interns at cooperatives in Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming in 2013.  Later in the afternoon, Bob and Darryl visited the Delivery Day in downtown Denver by High Plains Food Co-op, where they found OC Community Intern Greg Laudenslager and many volunteers hard at work.  Over 80 orders to HPFC members were filled at the delivery, totaling over $7,000 in sales by HPFC producers.  On July 20th, Bob and Darryl traveled to Longmont, CO for a meeting with Marsha Whiting, Senior Program Officer for First Nations Development Institute, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating, advocating, and capitalizing Native American communities, youth, and entrepreneurs.  OC presented its Community Internship Program as a potential tool that First Nations’ constituents in Great Plains states could utilize.  Identifying and engaging partners for Community Internships is a year-round, ongoing process for Ogallala Commons.

Intern Profile: Kara Lacey

Hey there! I'm Kara Lacey! I am from Tulia, Texas, and I am 20 years old. I am a junior at Texas Tech University, and I am majoring in Agriculture Education, with hopes of being a County Extension Agent one day soon! I am interning at Texas AgriLife Extension in [Tulia] for [a] second summer and I am so excited! This summer, I plan on learning more about Extension, since [that is] the career path I've chosen. But, I also plan on learning more about my small community, and helping with different things here! I am helping with the moth research again, I will volunteer a day or so at our county library, and help with 4-H roundup. Of course, I'll be busy around Picnic again, but that's the most fun event in the summer! I'm very pumped up for this summer and working with my supervisors and fellow interns. I plan to learn a lot of new things!

Intern Profile: Melanie Jackson

Hello esteemed readers, I’m Melanie Jackson.  I grew up in New Deal, Texas (just north of the grand metropolis that is Lubbock).  I’ve always lived on my family’s sheep farm and attended New Deal ISD, home of the mighty lions.  Upon graduation, I shipped off to Texas A&M University, where I have just completed my freshman year as a Landscape Architecture major.

During my senior year of high school, I was fortunate enough to come into contact with my now-internship sponsor.  He’s the landscape architect behind Prairie Workshop LLC (a landscape architecture firm in Lubbock), and when the suggestion of a summer internship came up, I was simply thrilled to have been presented with a chance to observe firsthand the inner workings of my future career and to contribute to the creation and completion of design projects...[Through] my internship, I have the incentive and the capacity to improve not only myself, but to explore and improve the communities I call home. 

Intern Profile: Jake Johnson

Hello everyone, my name is Jake Johnson from Whiteface, Texas in Cochran County. I live on a rather large ranch, (for our area) and with my dad and grandad, we run, on average, about 1200 cattle in all. I'm looking forward to working in the community as well as out at the Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge close to Muleshoe, TX. This summer, I will be studying any and all kinds of grassland birds of West Texas. I have the honor to work with some really great folks at the refuge throughout my internship, as well as in the community of Whiteface. I believe there is a lot to be done in Whiteface with housing arrangements, and I look forward to lending a helping hand where ever is necessary.

Intern Profile: Dayna Larreau

Hello everyone! My name is Dayna Larreau, and I’m from the tiny village of Arnold, Nebraska. It has been my home for my entire life, and the community has shaped me into who I am today. I recently finished my freshman year at the University of Nebraska at Kearney and I am currently living at home in Arnold again for the summer. I’m majoring in Economics, which is almost always considered awful or boring, but after taking a course in it, I found it to be super exciting.

My internship is going to be split between the Arnold Economic Development Corporation (AEDC) and The Arnold Sentinel, our local newspaper. [...] For the AEDC I have quite a few projects, but the largest will be dealing with that interest in genealogy and taking a census of the Arnold Cemetery and putting the information on a Web site.  For the Sentinel, I will be doing quite a bit of researching and reporting about the people that have stayed in the area and about how the recently implemented 1% sales tax has affected the community economically.
I am excited to begin helping out and becoming involved with Arnold over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment