Monday, July 2, 2012

June News (4)

2012 Intern T-Shirt Design
Have you seen an intern in a shirt that looks like this (see below)? Did you wonder what it meant? Check out this explanation by the designer, OC's Education Coordinator, Julie Hodges.
"The 2012 Intern T-Shirt design is based on a map designed to show traffic volume on highways throughout the United States.  The thicker lines indicate more traffic. This year I wanted to do something with the t-shirt that showed our intern communities and the fact that they are in rural areas.  I thought the traffic patterns showed an interesting way of looking at the Great Plains."

Youth Engagement and Entrepreneurship Training
Students participate in the 2011 Campo Youth Engagement Day
Summer brings opportunities for continuing education.  We want to let you know about a Training on Youth Engagement & Youth Entrepreneurship that Ogallala Commons is conducting in conjunction with the WTAMU Enterprise Center and Leading/EDG on Thursday, July 12 from 9am-4pm at the WTAMU Enterprise Center in Amarillo.  There is no cost to the workshop, and the Enterprise Center will cover the lunch and refreshments. The purpose of the workshop is to provide program overview to teachers participating in Ogallala Commons Youth Engagement Days and Entrepreneur Fairs, and to assist educators in preparing an appropriate business plan for the Youth Entrepreneur Fairs.  OC hopes that interested folks will attend this workshop to learn how to use the new financial projection model.  Please let Darryl know if you would like to attend the event, so we can have an accurate lunch count (darrylb@amaonline.com or 806-945-2255)

Intern Profile: Cynthia Buster
Hi! My name is Cynthia Buster and I live in Lubbock, Texas, with my husband, David, our daughter Ashleigh, and our pets, Norman, a dachshund, and Klondike, a guinea pig. I grew up in Fort Worth and completed my Bachelor’s degree in History with Secondary Education Certification from Tarleton State University in May 2010. The summer after graduation, I was accepted at Texas Tech University to work on my Master of Science in Heritage Management. I will be graduating in August 2012. I am currently an Ogallala Commons Community Intern working in Nazareth, Texas, producing the exhibit about the village’s veterans and their service to their country, community, and families for their annual German Festival.

The result of Cynthia's internship is the historical exhibit, “Lest We Forget: Stories of Nazareth Military Veterans”, and it will be open to the public inside Holy Family Church during the 40th Annual German Festival in Nazareth, Texas on Saturday, July 14th from 10am to 4pm. The posters and veterans story books will be eventually housed at the Francis Wilhelm American Legion Post No. 528 and oral histories with veterans will be archived at the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library at Texas Tech University.

Intern Profile: Rebecca Garza
Hello everyone! My name is Rebecca Lynn Garza. I am a twenty-nine year old mother of four and wife of ten years. I am originally from Springfield, MO but have been raised and raised a family of my own in a little town called Wilson in the heart of West Texas. I learned about Ogallala Commons Community Internship [Program] through a good friend and employee of our school, Nancy Walker.  I want to be a part of my town’s story so for my internship I will be aiding in the preparation of our 100th year anniversary celebration. The other major role I play in my life is a student, which I have pursued to complete an Associates in Business Administration and currently working toward a Bachelors in Accounting. It is my dream to one day own and operate my very own business and for this reason the other two portions of my internship will include learning how to write grant applications and engaging the youth of Wilson to understand the importance of entrepreneurship and creating and maintaining local businesses.

Intern Profile: Ty Ownbey
Hello, my name is Ty Ownbey, and I’m a community intern for the small town of Campo, CO, [where] I’ve lived in my entire life. I am 14 years old and a freshman at Campo School. Campo has about 150 residents inside the city limits, and about 50 students at Campo School, K-12. I have lived both on a farm and ranch, currently I live on a ranch that’s about ten miles outside of Campo. I live there with my mother and father. I also have two sisters that have both graduated out of Campo and returned after college to the town of Campo. Some of my favorite hobbies are fishing, hunting, playing basketball, and attending community functions. I’m also a member in our school’s Youth Advisory Council “YAC” and Student Council, outside of school I am in 4-H. When I get older, I want to work for Colorado  Parks and Wildlife, because I have always loved the outdoors and I want to do my part to preserve Colorado’s natural beauty. I thank that this internship will help me learn responsibility, and work ethic. Which I think is the back bone of upholding a good job in the years to come. I also hope that this job will [also] bring me closer to my community and its history.

No comments:

Post a Comment