Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July News (4)

Playa Field Day
A couple dozen people attended the Playa Field Day on
July 14th, and viewed scores of waterfowl and shorebirds.
Ogallala Commons Interns: Stewarding Natural Resources

In recent years, Ogallala Commons has expanded its Stewarding Natural Resources Program.  In addition to conducting Playa Festivals for schools, OC also offers 4 Playa Field Days throughout the year, to inform landowners and the general public to increase awareness and conservation of these fragile prairie wetlands.  OC Community Interns have played a key role in our water education efforts, and currently there are 5 interns working primarily on stewarding natural resources in their communities.

The flyer below advertises the great work two Ogallala Commons interns, Tishia Stewart and Masi Mejia, have done in helping to organize a wonderful event called "Meet the Refuge" at Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge. Click the photo to enlarge it and learn more! Read on to learn more about Masi, Tishia, and their respective internships.



Intern Profile: Masi Mejia
My name is Masi Mejia and I am originally from Laredo, Texas. I currently attend Texas Tech University and am a senior Environmental Conservation of Natural Resource major with a minor in Agricultural Leadership.

My internship consists of two parts: the first of which I will be assisting Maria Miller, Director of Education, from the National Farmers Union. I will be assisting her in various duties involved with the National Farmers Union’s Women conference in Bailey, Colorado. At this conference, rural women are given the skills and training needed to help the family farm with finances, marketing, business planning and various issues facing women on farms today. I will also be assisting Ms. Miller in the All-States Leadership Camp in Bailey, Colorado, where National Farmers Union members ages 17-20 have the opportunity to explore their leadership skills and current issues in hopes of going back to their rural communities to create positive change. The second part of my internship will be taking place at the Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge under Jude Smith. [One] of the main goals is to help organize and plan an educational day under Ogallala Commons. I hope that, while on the Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge, I am exposed to more natural resource management as well as learning the inner workings of a federal agency, and [am able to increase] my knowledge of  waterfowl management.

Intern Profile: Tishia Stewart
Hi everyone! I'm Tishia from the lovely eastern New Mexico town of Clovis, New Mexico. I was born at Cannon Air Force Base and soon thereafter was swept away to Hawaii. We lived there for a few years then moved to Hollywood, California, where I went to school until my junior high years. My parents and I relocated to Clovis, New Mexico where the thing to do for fun, aside from athletics, was to cruise Main Street with a truck full of friends. Upon graduation I joined the Army Reserve as an x-ray tech. When that was all said and done I moved to Whittier, CA to attend Whittier College and major in biology.

I suppose there were other plans that I was not aware of because I returned to Clovis about 4 years ago with my two children to be closer to my  ailing Grandmother, their Great-Grandmother. I have a deep love and appreciation for my family and that was something I wanted to pass on to my kids: You do what you can for your family.

...I [have] met some of the most incredible people during my independent college studies and Texas Master Naturalist programs that my head happily spins just thinking them. ...And from those experiences I am eager to share my new knowledge within and around my community.


Intern Profile: Reina Lewis
October 5, 1992 I was brought into this world by Clint and Sherella Lewis. With a one year old child in their lives already, they had their hands full. [...] In January of 1993 my parents moved us to Tulia, Texas...[t]his is where they raised me, and where my younger brother Cole was born.

Beginning at a young age I was involved in agriculture. My competed in my first horse [show] at age 5, where I won my first blue ribbon. So I continued to compete for 13 more years, and I continued to be just as successful as I was that first year. I plan to stay on the livestock team as I continue my education, and eventually get a degree in Agriculture Communications from Texas Tech University.

Through this internship I hope to aid my community become more than just a typical “small town”. Many young people do not realize the impact they can have on a community. I hope to gain knowledge, and spread awareness about opportunities to Tulia's youth. 

Intern Profile: Cailin Neudorf
Hello everyone! My name is Cailin Neudorf, and I’m from the small town of Hart, Texas where I will be a junior at Hart High School. I am the new Vice President for Student Council, was inducted into National Honor Society this year, I am a Varsity cheerleader, and a part of the Varsity basketball, cross country, track and golf teams. After high school, I would love to major in education and also become a basketball coach. I have two younger sisters, Camrie, 15, and Candyce, 12. My mother is our high school principle and my step dad is a coach as well.
Growing up in a small town has given me the opportunity to be involved in many activities. My mom and other family members are very involved in the community. Watching them having chosen to stay in their home town to make a living, raise their families and giving back to their community, has shown me the importance of community involvement. This internship will allow me to continue to learn how to do that and continue to make our town grow and be the best place possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment